Also Known As:
• Vice Lord Nation, Conservative Vice Lords, Four Corner Hustlers, VL, People Nation
• Latin Kings, Bloods, Black Peace Stones, Cobra Stones, EI Rukn, Insane Popes, Gaylords, Future Stones, Insane Unknown, King Cobras, Latin Counts, Latin Dragons, Latin Pachucos, Latin Saints, and Spanish Lords.
• Any gang belonging to Folk Nation
• Gangster Disciples, Black Disciples, Black Gangsters, Crips, Imperial Gangsters, International Posse, La Raza, Latin Disciples, Spanish Gangster Disciples, Party People, and Satan Disciples.
• Hand signs that form the letters "VL"
• Gold, black, and red colors
• University of Iowa, Pittsburg Steelers, and Penguins attire; Louis Vuitton (LV) caps; UNLV Jackets (UNLV- VLNU reversed, Vice Lord Nations United)
• Five-pointed star, symbolic of the gang's five principles: love, truth, peace, freedom, and justice. The gangs use the star in graffiti, jewelry, and tattoos.
• Inverted crossed pitchforks, a top hat, /:) /:) a cane, martini glass, gloves, crescent moons, a rabbit head (playboy bunny), the letters VL, 4CH, UVL, TVL, and the number 312 (the area code for Chicago).
• Clothing favors the left side of the body as a means of showing their connection with People Nation.
• Formed in a suburb of Chicago in 1958
• Chicago’s oldest gang
• A group of juveniles who had met at the State Training School for Bays in St. Charles, Illinois founded gang to provide protection from other gangs.
• Began absorbing other gangs in neighborhood, non-affiliated young men, and gangs that were already at war with their rivals to increase membership.
• In 1971 expanded from a single gang into an association of numerous Vice Lord Nation gangs.
• Late 1970’s many of the leaders were imprisoned due to VLN’s prominence in drug distribution.
• Mostly African-American but cross many ethnic backgrounds.
• In 1966 became part of Civil Rights movements.
• Attempted to be positive with community programs such as Team Town, however, members were too engrossed in criminal activities to be seen as positive organization.
• MLK assassination end positive upliftment efforts, gang went into uproar.
• All members are required to take an oath and to memorize and obey all gang laws and rules.
• Members also are required to attend weekly meetings that are held by senior leaders. If member violates a law or rule, or misses a meeting, he is beaten.
• Vice Lord Oath -In the name of the Almighty, I solemnly swear that I, as a representative of the Almighty Conservative Vice Lord Nation, will not dishonor my most sacred weapon meaning Lord unity, nor under the threat of death will I deny those who stand beside me. I, as a representative of the Almighty Conservative Vice Lord Nation, will listen to the truthful teaching of the elite. I will also serve my time constructively while imprisoned so that upon my release I will become useful to my Community and to myself as a whole. So let the Black God Allah bear witness to this oath. By the birth, spirit and through the heart's core. I come as I am. Almighty Vice Lord.
• confirmed in 28 states in the United States, primarily in the Great Lakes, Southeast, and West Central regions of the country,
• Primary location being Chicago, Midwestern states and Eastern cities.
• Sets can also be found in Central America and Spain.
• Hometown- North Lawndale St. in Chicago (Holy City)
• Actively involved in numerous criminal activities including murder, drive-by-shootings, and weapons smuggling.
• The gangs' main source of income is the street-level distribution of powdered cocaine, crack cocaine, heroin, and marijuana.
• Involved in many other types, of criminal activity including assault, burglary, drive-by shooting, extortion, homicide, identification fraud, and robbery.
• VLN members launder drug proceeds by investing in real estate and by operating various cash-based businesses including barber shops, music promotion companies, record stores, restaurants catering services, and construction companies